Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy Endings

*SpoilerAlert* I just don't know if I'm going to be able to contain myself, so watch out!

Ok. So. My Sister's Keeper. Great book. Worst ending in the world. I mean, a car crash? [see, i told you i wouldn't be able to contain myself] Seriously. A car crash. After the whole entire book, it ends. With a car crash. Well, it ends for Anna, who was the one who I was rooting for, so basically it ends. A car crash. Why couldn't it have been her sister who died? Why did it have to be her? Why was it always her? I mean, I know life isn't all about happy endings and warm fuzzies, but this wasn't life, wasn't my life. It was a book. Books are my happy places. They are my warm fuzzies. Books have happy endings. Fairy tales happen in books. What you can't have in real life you can have in a book. Well, Ms. Author-of-this-book [who's name i can't remember] took that away from me. I wanted Anna to have a happy ending. I wanted her to live her life free of what her parents created her for, and I wanted her to be free of the obligations she felt she owed her sister. Basically, I wanted her sister to just die. It didn't have to be painful, but I did want her to die. That was my happy ending. Which was still harsh reality if you think about it. I mean, my ending is a bit more realistic than her's, if you really think about it. I mean, Kate was barely hanging on to the last shreds of life she had left, and she wanted to throw them away! [see, i just keep on spoiling and spoiling... i'm terrible] Why couldn't she just die? Why did it have to be Anna? After all that she had been through. A car crash. And guess what the best part of that whole scene was... She was wearing her seat belt. What kind of message is this lady trying to send us? I mean, I am getting mixed signels all over the place. Like arson is ok, and fire makes you feel better, and people who start fires are terrible people, and God doesn't exist, and God does exist, and creation is an amazing thing, and it's a stupid thing. Where is she going with all of this? What is she trying to say? Does she even know? The back of the book says that there is only one issue she is trying to discuss: The ethics of having a baby solely to help another of your children. I think whoever read the book and formed that opinion is a complete and total idiot. I'm actually wondering if that person even read the book at all. The pages within cover so much more than that. It's hard to believe how much this lady tries to tackle with just one story. I don't even know if I grasped half of it the first time reading it through. I mean, some kid going for like a degree in law or ethics or psychology could use this book to formulate a thesis [and a good one] for his big huge paper that has to be written. She even tries to dig in really deep on all of the issues she gets into, without losing the substance of her book. Which is why it is a fantastic book. With a horrible ending. I mean, a car crash? Seriously? Just, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment