Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hello My Name Is...

Blank and I am looking for a partner for Blank. Let me know if you need a partner too and we can work out the times from there.

Doesn't that just sound like he's selling himself? It's an e-mail that I got [twice] from some guy in one of my classes at school looking for a partner for a project. And it sounds like he is selling himself. Not in a horribly sexual way. But really, it sounds like an ad in the newspaper. All that was missing was the face shot of him giving the thumbs up. Making up for the lack of enthusiasm in his message. Because a picture is worth a thousand words. Why do people say that? Really? I don't get it. Do they say that so they can get away with writing less for an article that has a picture? Or so they can skimp on the description of a picture? If you could find me 1000 words [not including non descriptive words] to describe a picture I think I would have to faint. Words that would count would be adjectives. Smile, purple, wild, big, pretty. You wouldn't be able to use filler. Say it was a picture of a tree, you wouldn't be able to say,

"The tree is looking nice this Saturday afternoon after strolling on the sidewalk to see what was there under the blue sky that contained fluffy white clouds that were above our heads not threatening rain, which was really nice because rain is not nice and there was no rain just nice trees and blue skies and there was a sidewalk that you could walk on, it would definitely be very super fun to walk on that excellent looking sidewalk. I bet you'd never drop any ice cream on that sidewalk, it's too nice for that, and birds must never poop on it. It looks too nice."

And that was only 106 words of complete and utter nonsense. And the only words that would count are: tree, sidewalk, blue, sky, fluffy, white clouds, birds. That is only eight words. Good luck with your 1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment